Have you ever dreamed of having your own rainforest in the city? Well, now you can, thanks to a new trend in urban gardening called highkey rainforest rooftop. This is a type of rooftop garden that mimics the conditions and diversity of a tropical rainforest, creating a stunning and sustainable green space in the urban environment.
What is highkey rainforest rooftop?
Highkey rainforest rooftop is a term coined by the Australian landscape designer Jamie Durie, who is known for his innovative and eco-friendly projects. He defines it as “a rooftop garden that has been designed to replicate the microclimate of a rainforest canopy, using plants that are native to or adapted to tropical regions”.
A highkey rainforest rooftop is not just a collection of potted plants, but a carefully planned and maintained ecosystem that supports a variety of flora and fauna. It features layers of vegetation, from tall trees and palms to shrubs and groundcovers, as well as water features, rocks, and soil. It also incorporates elements of biophilic design, such as natural light, ventilation, and views, to enhance the well-being and productivity of the people who use it.
What are the benefits of highkey rainforest rooftop?
Highkey rainforest rooftop offers many benefits for both the environment and the people who live or work near it. Some of these benefits are:
- It reduces the urban heat island effect, which is the phenomenon of higher temperatures in urban areas compared to rural areas due to human activities and lack of vegetation. By providing shade, evapotranspiration, and insulation, highkey rainforest rooftop lowers the temperature and energy consumption of the building and its surroundings.
- It improves air quality, as plants filter pollutants and produce oxygen. It also reduces noise pollution, as plants absorb sound waves and create a peaceful atmosphere.
- It enhances biodiversity, as it attracts and provides habitat for birds, insects, and other wildlife. It also preserves and showcases rare and endangered plant species that may otherwise be lost due to deforestation and climate change.
- It boosts mental health, as it creates a natural oasis in the city that reduces stress, improves mood, and stimulates creativity. It also fosters social interaction and community engagement, as it provides a space for recreation, education, and events.
How to create a highkey rainforest rooftop?
Creating a highkey rainforest rooftop requires careful planning, design, installation, and maintenance. Here are some steps to follow:
- Assess the site conditions, such as the size, shape, slope, orientation, drainage, load capacity, access, and regulations of the rooftop. You may need to consult with an engineer or architect to ensure the structural safety and feasibility of your project.
- Choose the plants that suit your site conditions and your design goals. You may want to consult with a horticulturist or a landscape designer to select the best plants for your climate zone and microclimate. You should also consider the height, spread, growth rate, water needs, maintenance requirements, and aesthetic appeal of each plant.
- Prepare the rooftop for planting by installing waterproofing membranes, drainage systems, irrigation systems, lighting systems, windbreaks, trellises, pots, containers, or raised beds. You may also need to add soil amendments or fertilizers to improve the soil quality and fertility.
- Plant your highkey rainforest rooftop according to your design plan. You should arrange the plants in layers according to their size and light needs. You should also leave some space between the plants for air circulation and growth. You may also want to add some accessories or decorations to enhance the look and feel of your garden.
- Maintain your highkey rainforest rooftop regularly by watering, pruning, weeding, mulching, pest controling, and fertilizing as needed. You should also monitor the health and performance of your plants and replace any dead or diseased ones.
Highkey rainforest rooftop is a new trend in urban gardening that transforms rooftops into lush green spaces that resemble tropical rainforests. It offers many benefits for both the environment and the people who use it. It also requires careful planning, designing installation ,and maintenance to ensure its success.