UFC gloves are more than just a piece of equipment. They are your weapons, your protection and your expression of your fighting style. Whether you are training or competing, you need to have the right UFC gloves for your needs. But how do you choose the best UFC gloves among the many options available? Here are some tips to help you make the right decision.
The Types of UFC Gloves
The first thing you need to know is that there are different types of UFC gloves for different purposes. The main types are:
- Competition gloves: These are the gloves that professional fighters wear in UFC events. They are designed to be lightweight, durable and offer minimal padding. They weigh between 4 to 6 ounces and have open palms and fingers to allow for grappling and submissions. Competition gloves are regulated by the UFC rules and must meet certain standards of quality and safety.
- Sparring gloves: These are the gloves that you use for sparring sessions with your training partners. They are similar to competition gloves, but have more padding and protection to prevent injuries and cuts. They weigh between 8 to 10 ounces and have closed palms and fingers to reduce the impact of strikes. Sparring gloves are ideal for practicing your striking skills and techniques without risking serious damage.
- Training gloves: These are the gloves that you use for general training purposes, such as hitting the heavy bag, the speed bag, the mitts or the Body Action System. They are designed to be versatile, comfortable and durable. They weigh between 10 to 16 ounces and have thick padding and wrist support to absorb shock and prevent injuries. Training gloves are perfect for improving your power, speed, endurance and accuracy.
The Factors to Consider When Choosing UFC Gloves
Now that you know the types of UFC gloves, you need to consider some factors that will influence your choice. These factors are:
- Your style: Depending on your preferred fighting style, you may want to choose different types of UFC gloves. For example, if you are a striker who likes to throw punches and kicks, you may want to opt for lighter and more flexible gloves that allow you to move your hands freely. On the other hand, if you are a grappler who likes to clinch, wrestle and submit your opponents, you may want to go for heavier and more protective gloves that prevent your fingers from getting caught or injured.
- Your size: The size of your UFC gloves is determined by two measurements: your hand circumference and your glove weight. Your hand circumference is the distance around your knuckles when you make a fist. Your glove weight is the amount of ounces that your glove weighs. To find your ideal glove size, you need to measure your hand circumference and then match it with the corresponding glove weight according to this chart:
|Hand Circumference||Glove Weight|
|6″ – 7″||8 oz|
|7″ – 8″||10 oz|
|8″ – 9″||12 oz|
|9″ – 10″||14 oz|
|10″ – 11″||16 oz|
- Your level: Your level of experience and skill also affects your choice of UFC gloves. If you are a beginner or an intermediate fighter, you may want to choose more padded and protective gloves that will help you avoid injuries and build confidence. If you are an advanced or a professional fighter, you may want to choose less padded and more flexible gloves that will allow you to showcase your skills and techniques.
The Best UFC Gloves Brands
Finally, you need to consider the brand of your UFC gloves. There are many brands that offer high-quality UFC gloves, but some of the most popular and trusted ones are:
- UFC Official Fight Gloves by Dyaco: These are the official competition gloves used by UFC fighters in their events. They are made of premium leather and feature a pre-curved design that conforms to your hand shape. They have minimal padding and open palms and fingers for optimal striking and grappling performance. They also have a Velcro closure system that ensures a secure fit.
- UFC Sparring Gloves: These are the sparring gloves offered by UFC in various colors and sizes. They are made of durable synthetic leather and feature a multi-layered foam padding that provides excellent shock absorption and protection. They have closed palms and fingers for reduced impact and enhanced grip. They also have a wide wrist strap with a Velcro closure system that ensures a snug fit.
- UFC Training Gloves: These are the training gloves offered by UFC in various colors and sizes. They are made of durable synthetic leather and feature a thick foam padding that provides superior comfort and protection. They have a curved design that fits your hand shape and allows for natural movement. They also have a mesh palm that enhances breathability and a Velcro closure system that ensures a stable fit.
UFC gloves are essential for MMA training and fighting. They protect your hands, enhance your performance and express your style. To choose the best UFC gloves for your needs, you need to consider the type, the size, the level and the brand of your gloves. You can find a wide range of UFC gloves online or in stores, but make sure you try them on before buying them to ensure they fit you well and feel comfortable. Remember, your UFC gloves are more than just a piece of equipment. They are your weapons, your protection and your expression of your fighting style. Choose them wisely and enjoy your MMA journey!